22 March 2012

Ask the Black Belt: Rodney King

Rodney King is famous for his revolutionary approach to the martial arts and is known as the creator of the Crazy Monkey Defense System. He has also taken BJJ and applied the Crazy Monkey philosophies to it and Monkey Jits was born. We got the chance to get a little spot in Rodney's busy schedule to ask him a few questions.


Photo from: kdta.blogspot.com 

What rank do you currently hold in BJJ and who awarded it to you?

I am a 2nd Degree BJJ black belt under Professor Rigan Machado. 

When did you start doing bjj and how would you describe your first experience?

I started BJJ at the end of 1997. To be honest, there was no one in South Africa doing BJJ outside of one person in Cape Town. We were the first two people to officially offer training in BJJ. When I started coaching I was a white belt. In 1998 I brought my coach Rigan Machado out for a seminar and was awarded my blue belt. 

What drove you to start doing BJJ?

By chance I met someone from the USA who already had a blue belt in BJJ, got to roll with him, and realized that while I was excellent at stand up, knowing how to survive on the ground was paramount. To add to it mixed martial arts was on the rise, and I was really impressed with how Royce Gracie was able to win against some tough opponents on the ground. Although I had a brown belt in Judo, it simply was not the same. I liked how BJJ focused on finishing the fight on the ground, no matter where you found yourself with a submission.

What is the most important thing you learned from your coach?

The uncomplicated game of jiujitsu. Keeping it simple was the key. I have kept this philosophy both for my personal game and those I coach.  

What do you like about teaching BJJ?

My personal take is focusing on BJJ as a self-preservation system. How to use it to maximize the ground, but also not to buy into the hype that all fights go to the ground. So what I like about teaching BJJ is keeping my clients grounded, giving them the skills to survive on the ground, but also to know how to get back up and fight on their feet 

What makes a good BJJ coach?

Someone who can get past his own ego and sense of self-importance. You (are) teaching a game. It needs to be fun and playful. When you can set your own self-importance aside, you can just get down on the mat and grow alongside with your clients. 

Do you think competition is a good way to improve your skills?

It can be. I never competed. I am not the competitive type. Most people would say I have a pretty decent BJJ game. I think if you coach your clients without holding back, giving them the correct tools from the beginning, you can develop excellent game.  

 What advice would you give to white belts who want to improve their game?

Just have fun. Seriously, view it as a game, a game you would play when you were a kid wrestling with your buddies. Keep your game simple, focus on the fundamentals, and be consistent. There are no shortcuts to success. 

BJJ has often been likened to chess, do you think that is accurate?

Well it depends. It is a game of strategy. But great chess players see the whole board, and several moves ahead. Often times when the chess analogy is used it is within the scope of move for move. Only amateur chess players, play move for move, grand-masters are already at the end of the game, when you are just starting:) 

What are your three favorite techniques?

Triangle, choke, triangle :)


Photo from: www.crazymonkeydefense.com/   
 


For more info on the Crazy Monkey Defence Program or Monkey Jits go  to www.crazymonkeydefense.com/ 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.